IBEW Local 280 is a labor organization representing 1,900 energy and utility workers. Local 280 was established on Aug. 17, 1928 with 10 electricians. Our local covers the jurisdictions of Yamhill (South), Polk, Marion, Lane, Linn, Benton, Crook, Jefferson, and Deschutes counties. We originally had an office in Salem, Oregon off Commercial Street.
In 1997, land was purchased in Tangent for a training center, which opened in 2001. Around that time, we purchased the now existing hall in Tangent. This all occurred under then-business manager Al Reddig. Around January 1997, the business manager hired central Oregon's first Local 280 rep/organizer Jerry Fletcher. Jerry worked out of his car until 1999 when UA 290 bought their building and they allowed us to utilize a small office space. We then moved the office to Redmond in 2016, and established the Redmond training center in 2017. In 2023, a 11,000-square-foot building was purchased in Prineville to replace our Redmond location for our soon to be new central Oregon office and training center.